Jim Gray

Written on 10:56 PM by Tushar

It is the night of 1/29 and Minu sends me an email containing website of Jim Gray @ Microsoft. We talk about his excellent work in area of databases and transaction processing, his ongoing projects at JHU and Cornell, his Turing prize etc. During our discussion I mention that my advisor @ Hopkins Prof. Randal Burns is doing some work with Jim. Interestingly enough one of my lab mates at HSSL works with Jim in one of the database projects. Minu tells me that she is taking a class @ Cornell with Johannes Gehrke who is working with Jim.

It is the afternoon of 1/30. Two minutes to go before my Transaction processing systems class which is taught by Randal starts. Minu calls me up to inform that Jim Gray is missing! Gehrke gave the news in the class. I enter the class and Randal does the same announcement…what an unfortunate coincidence!

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

4 Comments

  1. Anonymous |

    Yes indeed, it is an unfortunate coincidence!

     
  2. Anonymous |

    Hey Tushar,

    I went through your profile,liked it.Doen't take it other way..but want to know where are u from n where u working/studying?

     
  3. Tushar |

    Well, Dear Anonymous! I m a graduate student in Computer Science at Johns Hopkins University. (Guess you read my profile and it is right there!) and I do research in HSSL (follow the link from the blog). Cheers!

     
  4. Anonymous |

    Hey thts good..u replied:)
    well if ur on Orkut will catch up with u thr! by the way myself shruti from Pune!!It was Leaving on the jet plane song i was looking for n caught ur profile!!nways Cheers njoi
    Bubye!!

     

Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats