Cool Computer but…

Written on 11:12 PM by Tushar

Since past two days I was trying to install Linux on my home PC, which has an AMD 64 bit Sempron processor.

The computer which I had in my college days was a real pain. It invariably used to not work when I needed it the most. I remember I changed the motherboard once and even got the existing one repaired, changed FOUR hard disks, got the SMPS repaired, once the ram was burnt so I had to put a new one (it turned out to be really difficult since old SD RAMs are not readily available nowadays), my keyboard had all keys jammed. Just before I got rid of it, my UPS was screwed and soundcard had stopped working. The only part which I did not change was the processor (Touchwood!) which was Intel PIII – 933MHz:)

Few days back I switched to AMD (though it is still a desktop). I have a 64 bit hardware on which I hope to do some RnD in the leisure time. It has got a DVD writer and the best of all a broadband connection! This computer has made my life a lot easier.

Today I successfully installed SuSE 9.1 on it. It is not at all difficult to install Linux on most of the machines but you can hardly do anything if installation cds stop co'operating’.

In the beginning of the installation of SuSE a message is flashed on the screen…
“Cool Computer But…
You are about to install a 32bit software on a 64 bit hardware!”

So human! Windows really lacks this!!

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

3 Comments

  1. Anonymous |

    :-) Wasn't that expected? Why would Suse ship in the 64-bit binaries in the same CD as 32-bit? Isn't that too much. But have a look at this if u really want suse on ur machine.. they are supporting it
    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/4763/1/

     
  2. Tushar |

    Guys, You dint get the fun here....I knew that I was installing a 32bit s/w on a 64 bit h/w. FYI I do have SUSE 10 for 64 bit architecture.And i know that my (32 bit s/w)installation was gonna work coz of backward compatibility.

    I mentioned that message coz it gave the whole installation thing a human touch which lacks in windows!

    Mrunal: porting linux on 64 bit architecture is GREAT work!

     
  3. Tushar |

    Bulls eye Debajit:)

     

Post a Comment

Free counter and web stats